I’ve been sitting on Colleen & Nick’s Doctor Who geeky wedding extravaganza for entirely too long. I’m so glad that I’m finally catching up because this wedding has so much of my heart.
Colleen & Nick are two of the most fun and kind and hilarious and loving people I’ve ever had the complete pleasure of meeting. I consider myself extremely fortunate to now call these two friends, and working with them on their wedding was such a treat.
The main design of the geeky wedding was centered around Doctor Who, as evidenced in the little details the two included like Colleen’s “Exploding Tardis” shawl and Sonic Screwdriver bouquet, Nick’s tie and tie pin and boutineer, the lanterns the attendants carried, plus a ton of the reception details. They also added in a ton of nods to other fandoms that mean so much to the two of them, like Lord of the Rings, which played a huge part in how the two met and fell in love in the first place.
Scroll down to read all about their planning process, more details, and their advice to couples working on wedding planning!
Most memorable moment from your wedding day?
Nick’s is Colleen walking down the aisle to Clara’s Theme, 12th Doctor guitar version; Colleen’s is seeing Nick tear up as he spoke his vows & held her hand for the handfasting.
Funniest moment on your wedding day?
All of the guests dramatically singing to “I Want It That Way” by the Backstreet Boys, & Alex stripping off his shirt to reveal the Galaxy Pizza Cat tank top XD
What were you most anxious or nervous about regarding your wedding day and how did it turn out?
We were very nervous about having so many people around us all day! But it worked out perfectly – all our guests were so lovely, so fun, & so happy to celebrate with us. We couldn’t have asked for a better group!
What advice would you give to other couples planning their wedding?
Stick to your guns! Know your vision for your wedding day & be sure it feels like you as a couple in every way. You know better than anyone what you want your day to be like; make it so!
If you could do it all over, would you change anything?
We might do more in advance, for sure! Colleen would stress less & trust more in the process of planning as a joy, not a burden.
Any tips for future couples on how to prepare for their wedding photos?
Pick a photographer that gets you! We knew right off that you were the photographer for us. You understood us so well, & we adored you from the start! It made it that much easier to be comfortable with you & have fun with our photos. Also, just trust in each other & be yourselves. As a couple, your love will shine through in every shot when you’re just happy to be together & having a good time.
- Florist: Handmade by Nick
- Caterer: Williamson Bros. BBQ; Gluten Free/Dairy Free/Vegetarian Options provided by Tamera Odham
- Cakes/Desserts: Cupcakes & Cake by Nick; Gluten Free cupcakes & Dairy Free Peanut Butter cups by Tamera Odham
- Getting Ready, Ceremony, & Reception Venues: Getting Ready: Springhill Suites ; Ceremony & Reception: Rose Cottage Kennesaw
- DJ/Band/Musicians: Ceremony music played by Matthew Trautwein; Reception playlist composed by Nick & Colleen
- Hair Stylist & Make-Up: Hair by Jessi Poore; Make-up by Ann Spence; styled at Cobb Beauty School
- Attire/Clothing: Primary Dress by Impression Bridal; After Party Dress by Chi Chi London/ASOS; Shoes by Irregular Choice; Tights by Blackheart Clothing/Hot Topic; Exploding Tardis Wrap by Hot Topic; Groomswear is all Ebay & Shirts were Stacy Adams
- Accessories/Jewelry: Earrings by Holly Yashi, were a gift from Colleen’s Aunt; Necklace belonged to Colleen’s grandma; Clutch belongs to Colleen’s mom Peg
- Rings: Colleen’s ring by Badali Jewelry; Nick’s ring is by County Argyle
- Other: All decor by Nick & Colleen
Colleen & Nick, thank you SO MUCH for having me as a part of your gorgeously geeky wedding and also your lives. “You’re going to be amazing.” <3
Raven is an Atlanta Wedding Photographer who captures real people on their totally unique and completely awesome wedding day. She travels throughout Georgia, including Athens and Dahlonega and beyond, documenting love.